Managing learning styles in a group lesson

How do I meet the different learning styles of my pupils during a group lesson? Using the same approach as I do in my on-to-one lessons. Let me explain…..


Playing the piano is such a complex skill, it requires several different processes in the brain happening simultaneously (which is why it is such a wonderful beneficial skill for growing brains!).

My tactics to learning any new skill in my lessons, is to approach it from several different angles, so we are learning this new concept on many different levels. For example, if we are learning a new rhythm we might hear it, move to it, clap it, echo it, improvise with it, play it on the piano, play games using it, explore written notation for it.
We usually use several approaches in one lesson. My aim is to create well-rounded musicians, who can understand, read, and play the music we are learning in a holistic way.