Practice makes perfect!

For most of my pupils, there is a total of 10,050 minutes between each of their weekly 30-minute lessons!! What they do between their lessons with me is therefore vitally important for their learning journey. With so much to fit into one short lesson it can be all too easy to give the pupil a quick instruction on what to practice before they leave. But would this be doing the pupil a disservice?

It is my job as their teacher, not only to teach them how to play piano in the lesson time, but also to help them to make effective use of their time between lessons. I try to take the time during lessons to walk the pupil through the process of playing the piano at home. Above all, I believe it is of vital importance that the pupil leaves the lesson feeling confident that they understand what we have explored together and can continue the consolidation process without me.

Perhaps we might talk through some strategies on how best to learn a new piece, or give some creative suggestions on how to work through something which they find challenging.  I might send on a video or sound recording as a reminder of how a tricky corner of a piece goes. I often email my notes through to the pupil or parent after the lesson so that they can look back on what we have done. I encourage my pupils to create their own notes, in their own words at the end of each session, and to set their own goals, with my guidance, for the week ahead.

Here are a couple of my most-used resources for coming up with fresh ideas to kick-start practice time.